Transportation Special Needs Guidelines
Request Forms must have the following information. Forms that are
missing any pertinent information will be returned to the school of
allow at least 5 working days to set up transportation once the
Transportation Request has been received by Transportation. Fax to
Special Needs at 497-3368.
- Start of school – This may take up to 10 days at the start of school due to the high volume of requests received.
- Name of student, home address, work
phone, home phone and birth date. Please print the student’s last name
first and first name last.
- Start and dismissal time, session, entry date, service school, grade and school year.
- Teacher making the request.
- Pickup address, drop address and school.
- Emergency contact information and alternate drop information.
- Parent/Guardian information.
- Indicate Curb to Curb or Special Handling.
- Indicate special needs equipment i.e., wheelchair, car seat or harness.
- Note any behavior/medical concerns, seizures or any other information.
- All requests must have the signature of parent and "Representative of the Agency".
Please mark N/A “Not Applicable” in areas that do not pertain to the student transportation needs.
Drop off and pick up
Parent/guardian must notify the Transportation dispatch office at
497-3311 if child is absent, or Power Base dispatch at 507-3956
- Have your student ready 10 minutes prior to pickup time.
Curb-to-Curb means student has independent skills and is responsible
after leaving the bus. Special Handling means parent/guardian (daycare)
is responsible to accompany the child to the bus and meet the bus upon
- Bus will only wait 2 minutes at each stop.
- If your bus is 10 minutes late call the Transportation dispatch office at 497-3311 or Power Base dispatch at 507-3956.
- No out of district daycare/alternate will be accommodated.
- Must be within 1 mile from place of residence or assigned school.
- Limit number of daycare/alternate locations.
- Limit the number of weekly changes to alternate stops to no more than two (2).
Duration on the Bus
Significant changes i.e., school assignment, session time,
pickup/drop off locations must be approved at administrative level and
forwarded to Transportation.
- All other changes must be submitted via fax to the Transportation dispatch office. Fax # 497-3368
Lifting and Carrying
The duration on the bus will depend upon the distance between school
of attendance and place of residence or alternate location. Although
there is no specific limitation on how long a student is on the bus, the
district is committed to minimizing the time.
Transportation staff is required to assist students on and off the
bus and safely secure their seating. Staff may be required to perform
limited lifting and guiding of students when assisting students.
Students who may need assistance with getting on and off the bus and
seating must be able to assist the staff member in safely climbing
stairs and seating. Those students who do not have the adroitness to
assist staff in this process may need to use an adaptive device such as a
transport chair for the safety of the student. A District physical
therapist will determine the student’s ability to perform these
Parents are expected to assist transportation staff by bringing
their child to and from the bus. However, due to liability reasons and
student privacy rights, parents should not enter the bus to assist in
seating. Cooperation between transportation staff and parents is
Wheel/Transport Chairs should be in good condition and meet federal and
state guidelines. Students who require transport chairs must remain in
the chair for the duration of the ride.
- If adaptive devices
are required, they should be of the size that can be safely stored in
the bus. All items on the bus must be secured in accordance with state
guidelines. It is the parent's responsibility to transport equipment too
large for the bus.
The district may contract with the parent or guardian to pay them to
transport their child from the place of residence to the school of
attendance and back again. The payment will be equal to but not greater
than the standard state mileage rate of 44.5 cents per mile. Claims for
reimbursement must be submitted within five days of the hundredth day
and last day of school.