Burk Elementary Academics
Burk School adheres to high academic standards for all students and assists them in reaching their goals through various programs: honors, special education and ELL. A school calendar and student handbook with programs and school policies are available to all parents. Burk School provides a safe environment with supervision before, during and after school hours. In the fall, Board and District policies are available to each household, which outline procedures designed to ensure the safety of all.
Parents are responsible for ensuring that students arrive at school on time, in appropriate attire, with completed homework -- ready to learn. They must also report absences to the school on a daily basis. Parents are responsible for the health and well-being of their child and should report to the school any health issues that may impact their child's ability to learn. Parents should be actively involved in their child's classroom.
ORGANIZATION AND PHILOSOPHY
- Self-contained classrooms
- Inclusive classrooms
SCHOOL ACADEMIC GOALS
- On-site Special Education
- Special Education Preschool
- Full Day Kindergarten
- Student Clubs
- Title I
- Continue to align the instructional model at Burk with the state standards, district objectives and district curriculum programs.
- In the area of Language Arts teachers will utilize WFTB, Six Traits of Writing, and Thinking Maps in their instruction. In Math our teachers are using many of Kim Sutton's strategies and activities in their teaching. Burk Elementary. teachers have chosen Math as our 301 Academic Goal. We will also embrace the Rigor, Relevance, and Relationships framework as we provide our students with a World Class Education.
- Students will utilize ATI Benchmarks in the area of Reading and Math, as well as, be introduced and embrace Test Taking Strategies as they continue to show growth on their SAT10/AIMS test scores.