Half-Day Kindergarten at Burk Elementary
GPS offers a half-day kindergarten option at Burk Elementary.
Half-day kindergarten provides the core kindergarten curriculum in a morning half-day format. The program focuses on preparing students for success in 1st grade and offers opportunities for students to attend classes such as art and music towards the end of the school year as part of an extended day.
Half-day kindergarten is open to kindergarten age students within GPS boundaries and beyond. Transportation is provided.
Burk Elementary is a highly supportive school environment with an 'A' rating from the Arizona Department of Education.
- Support is provided for the whole child, and class sizes are small.
- Highly qualified, certified teacher with Instructional Assistant for additional student support.
- Open to Kindergarten age students within GPS boundaries and beyond.
- 1/2 day Kindergarten delivers the core Kindergarten curriculum in a half-day compressed format and is offered at Burk Elementary, in the AM.
- Regional transportation provided for students living within GPS boundaries.
- Towards the end of the school year the program provides extended day opportunities to attend classes such as art and music, and lunch in the cafeteria, to prepare for first grade.
Gilbert Public Schools Kindergarten Program Highlights
We are excited to welcome our 2022/23 Kindergarten students and their families! Please read on for helpful information and resources.
We offer tuition-free, full-day Kindergarten programs at all of our 26 elementary schools, half-day morning Kindergarten at Burk, online Kindergarten through GPS Global Academy, Accelerated Kindergarten at Highland Park, Meridian, Playa del Rey, Quartz Hill, and Val Vista Lakes, Dual-Language Spanish Kindergarten at Gilbert Elementary, and Traditional Kindergarten at Canyon Rim, Neely Traditional, and Spectrum.
Our Kindergarten students enjoy a challenging and comprehensive curriculum designed to provide the individualized attention they need to thrive while developing a lifelong love for learning.
- Convenient full-day and half-day Kindergarten options in a nurturing environment taught by certified and highly qualified teachers
- Half-day (morning) Kindergarten option at Burk Elementary
- Full-day Kindergarten online option through GPS Global Academy
- Five Accelerated Kindergarten options at Highland Park Elementary, Meridian Elementary, Playa del Rey Elementary, Quartz Hill Elementary, and Val Vista Elementary.
- Three Traditional Academies (K–6) options including Neely Traditional Academy, Canyon Rim Elementary, & Spectrum Elementary
- Rigorous instruction in core academic areas that addresses the Arizona state standards in reading, writing, math, science, and social studies
- Rich opportunities that promote positive social skills and character development within a structured learning environment
- Recognized educational excellence and consistency in achieving high scores on statewide assessments
- Well-defined and tailored curriculum with high-quality academic programs and extra-curricular activities to meet your student’s needs and strengths, including music, artistic expression, and physical education for the enrichment of the whole child
- Gilbert Public Schools Special Education Kindergarten programs provide quality early education for children with special needs.
Kindergarten Early Entrance Screening Information
Early Entrance Screenings will take place in June prior to the school year of registration, and be completed prior to the first day of school. Early Entrance Screening will not be available once school has begun.
Online Early Entrance Screening Registration Instructions:
- All screening registrations must be submitted online.
- A non-refundable $90.00 fee will be collected at the time of registration and may be paid using Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover Card. Once registration is completed, a confirmation will be sent via email indicating the date, appointment time, and location for your child’s screening. Please download and read the Early Entrance Screening Handbook before your appointment.
- Screening sessions are subject to cancellation if minimum enrollment is not met.
- Registering online for screening does not in any way guarantee enrollment into kindergarten.
- Face coverings are optional.
- Only one adult may accompany each child registered for a screening. No other children are allowed at this time.
- Please view and complete the Daily Health Assesment.
Screening Registration is completed online via Community Education's online system, Eleyo:
Questions about registration or payment?
Call the Community Education Department at 480-892-9089 prior to kindergarten screening registration, during business hours.
Questions about details concerning the screening or the process?
Call the Curriculum Department prior to kindergarten screening registration or your appointment at 480-497-3477 during regular business hours.