About the Buses & Transportation Department
Gilbert Public Schools Transportation Department is committed to providing safe and efficient transportation for all students, staff, and employees. District buses travel over 11,000 miles daily and approximately 2,245,000 miles per year with safety as our top priority at all times.
The Transportation Department includes two vehicle maintenance facilities which maintains all district vehicles. GPS drivers receive regular training which exceeds Arizona minimum standards. All drivers must be a minimum of 21 years of age, possess a Commercial Driver License, State Bus Driver Certificate, meet a physical tolerance profile, and undergo random and annual drug testing.
Gilbert Public Schools is continuously accepting applications for bus drivers to join our transportation team!
On way to and from the bus stop:
- Cross streets at the corner.
- Use crosswalks whenever possible.
- Obey traffic signals.
- Look both ways before crossing the street.
- Stay on the sidewalk.
At the bus stop:
- Stay on the sidewalk and don’t play in the street.
- Stay back from the curb as the bus approaches.
- Always cross the street in front of the bus.
- When you get off the bus, move away from the bus.
Back to school:
- Attend Open House at your student’s school for additional route information for the new school year.
- Take your child to the bus stop prior to the start of school.
- To avoid confusion when riding home on the bus, have your student ride the morning bus.
- Make sure your child knows his/her name and address, if not, write this information inside their backpack.
What are our expectations for student conduct?
Inappropriate conduct at bus stops, on District vehicles, or in the process of boarding or exiting from a vehicle may result in student disciplinary action including, but not limited to, denial of transportation privileges.
Listed below are some general rules to follow:
- All student conduct policies apply at bus stops.
- Obey the driver's instructions.
- Keep the aisles clear.
- Remain seated until the scheduled stop.
- Keep all body parts inside the vehicle.
- Do not yell or use vulgar or abusive language.
- Be respectful to the driver and others.
- Do not throw anything inside the vehicle or from the vehicle.
- No food or drink unless sanctioned by the driver.
- Tobacco use not allowed.
- Provide proper identification when asked to do so.
Please refer to the Student Handbook for more information on transportation rules and regulations, and consequences for failure to comply with these rules. At the beginning of the school year all students receive the Awareness Contract, which includes policy regarding student conduct on district vehicles.
Riding the bus is a privilege, not a right. Suspension of bus riding privileges does not relieve parents of the responsibility of sending a child to school.
Elementary School Day Start & End Times
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 8:10am–2:55pm
Wednesday Early Release: 8:10am–1:55pm
Half Days: 8:10am–11:55am
Junior High School Day Start & End Times
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 8:40am–3:30pm
Wednesday Early Release: 8:40am–2:30pm
Half Days: 8:40am–12:30pm
High School School Day Start & End Times
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 7:30am–2:20pm
Wednesday Early Release: 7:30am–1:20pm
Half Days: 7:30am–11:20am