Kindergarten Prep classes will begin in-person on Thursday, August 6, 2020. Parents may choose for their placement & tuition to be held until full in-person instruction begins for all GPS Students.
Kindergarten Prep is a 20 student program taught by a certified teacher with a classroom assistant, designed to give your child a jump start on becoming a prepared and eager Gilbert Public Schools student ready for the rigors of Kindergarten!
K-Prep Preschool registration is now available for the 2020–2021 school year!
Learn More About Kindergarten Prep Preschool
Kindergarten Prep curriculum focuses on literacy and academic content in an intentionally developed preschool environment. It is aligned with the Arizona Department of Education Early Learning Standards, and is supplemented with: Fundations, Handwriting Without Tears, We Thinkers! Social-Emotional curriculum, STEM and Unplugged Coding activities.
New for the 2020–2021 school year! Traditional Kindergarten Prep, offered at Canyon Rim and Spectrum Elementary, is designed to give students that will be attending a Traditional Kindergarten a jumpstart on their educational pathway. Students will participate in primary language arts (Spalding), math (Saxon Math K), science, music, art, and physical education through hands-on discovery and other age-appropriate activities. Kindergarten Prep teachings are aligned with the Arizona Department of Education Early Learning Standards.
Over the course of the year, your child will experience growth in the following areas:
- Acquire language and literacy skills
- Develop listening skills
- Gain problem solving and logical thinking skills
- Use new skills in play experiences
Social and Emotional Development
- Cultivate a positive attitude
- Explore an active community with a rich diversity
- Practice cooperation and respectful ways to resolve conflicts
- Experience a growing sense of self-esteem
- Refine gross and fine motor skills
- Gain confidence in physical capabilities
- Use all senses for total learning
Doing = Learning
- Active learning promotes concept retention and skills development, so we've built participation into every phase of our pre-K curriculum:
- Language and Literacy
- Letter and word games
- Singing and storytelling
- Dramatic/pretend play
Math and Science
- Counting and measuring
- Object classification
- Nature discovery
- Arts and crafts
- Music and movement
Fine Motor Development
- Block construction
- Puzzles and toys
- Sand and water play
Gross Motor Development
- Outdoor games
Registration Fee & Tuition
Registration Fee: $50/year
Tuition overview (see registration website for complete details on each option):
- AM Classes – 5 days per week, $320 per month (Mon–Fri, 8:30–11:30 am)
- PM Classes – 4 days per week, $280 per month (Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri, 12:15–3:15 pm)
- FULL DAY Classes – 5 days per week, $720 per month (8:00 am–3:00 pm Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri & 8:00 am–2:00 Wed) Please note: extended hours available for an additional $120 per month These extended hours will be in the Building Blocks program and are available 6:30 am–6:00 pm (this option may be selected during the registration process).
Both the registration fee and the first month's tuition are due at the time of registration and are both non-refundable.
Contact Gilbert Public Schools Community Education Office
Office Hours: Monday–Thursday 8:00 am–4:30 pm & Friday 8:00 am–12:00 pm (closed Fridays in June/July)
Note: Gilbert Public Schools Community Education Department has computer terminals available to use at our office at 6839 East Guadalupe Road in Mesa, Arizona, for preschool enrollment for families without online access.
Preschool Screening: Early Intervention & Developmental Delays Information
Preschool Immunizations Information
Preschool Online Enrollment Steps (Registration, Payment, & Annual Update Information)
Kindergarten Prep Program by School Location
|School||Location||K-Prep AM Session||K-Prep PM Session|
|Ashland Ranch Elementary||1945 S. Ashland Ranch, Gilbert, AZ||8:30–11:30 am||N/A|
|Canyon Rim Elementary (Traditional K-Prep)||3045 South Canyon Rim, Mesa, AZ||FULL DAY 8 am–3 pm||FULL DAY 8 am–3 pm|
|Highland Park Elementary||230 North Cole Drive, Gilbert, AZ||8:30–11:30 am||12:15–3:15 pm|
|Houston Elementary||500 E. Houston Ave., Gilbert, AZ||8:30–11:30 am||12:15–3:15 pm|
|Spectrum Elementary (Traditional K-Prep)||2846 South Spectrum Way, Gilbert, AZ||8:30–11:30 am||N/A|
|Superstition Springs Elementary||7125 E. Monterey Ave., Mesa, AZ||8:30–11:30 am||N/A|
|Val Vista Lakes Elementary||1030 N. Blue Grotto Dr., Gilbert, AZ||8:30–11:30 am||12:15–3:15 pm|