Self-Contained Gifted Program for Highly Gifted Learners, 4th–6th Grade
The Self-contained Gifted Program provides an all-day differentiated learning experience addressing the individual needs of the highly gifted students. Students will be with other highly gifted peers for all core content areas (math, reading, writing, social studies and science). They will participate in special area instruction and are included in all grade level activities, field trips, and lunch.
The Self-contained Gifted Program currently has a 4th, 5th, and 6th grade classroom at Towne Meadows Elementary School.
Qualifications for the Self-contained Gifted Program: Scores (on a state-approved gifted test) of 97+ in two of the three areas: verbal, quantitative, and/or nonverbal area(s), with the third score being 85 or higher or an IQ score of 130+.
Highlights of Self-Contained Gifted Program
- Lego Robotics
- Socratic Questioning
- Social-Emotional Curriculum
- Enrichment and Acceleration
- Language Arts (instruction is offered using College of William & Mary curriculum from the Center For Gifted Education and Michael Clay Thompson)
An example of a 5th grade project connecting to the story of George Washington's Socks. *Additional information regarding the project: project outline
Towne Meadows Elementary
1101 N. Recker Road, Gilbert, AZ 85234
School Grade Levels: Currently, one classroom for 4th grade, one classroom for 5th grade, and one classroom for 6th grade
Class Size: 25
Transportation: Provided by GPS (might be regional bus stops)
Self-Contained Program Applications
Families interested in applying for the SCG Program must complete an online application. Applications are now being accepted on a first-come, first served basis. Please be aware, the 6th-grade class is currently at capacity but we are still accepting applications and placing students on a waitlist.
Applications will be considered in the following order:
- Students who are siblings of students who are currently in the Self-contained Gifted Program or the GTC (Gifted Talented and Creative) Program at Highland Junior High School.
- Students residing in the Gilbert Public Schools boundaries or who are currently attending a Gilbert Public School.
- Students who reside outside of the Gilbert Public Schools boundaries or who do not currently attend a Gilbert Public School.
- Out of District Students
- Out of district students are welcome to apply for the Self-contained Gifted Program if they meet District qualifications, as noted above.
In addition to the application, please submit the following information to the Teaching and Learning Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A copy of your child’s most recent intellectual assessment results: Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT) or other State of Arizona approved assessment or IQ tests administered by a licensed Psychologist/Psychiatrist
- A copy of your child’s most recent standardized test scores (i.e. AzMERIT, DIBELS)
- A copy of your child’s most recent report card
- Twice-exceptional students receiving special education or 504 services must attach: Copy of current IEP and most current special education evaluation report or copy of 504 plan
*Applications will not be accepted until all forms have been submitted
Siblings are welcome to attend Towne Meadows through the Open Enrollment process. Acceptance is contingent upon the campus’ capacity to provide all services needed by the sibling(s).