Self-Contained Gifted Program for Highly Gifted Learners, 4th–6th Grade
The Self-Contained Gifted Program at Towne Meadows Elementary is designed for 4th, 5th and 6th grade profoundly gifted learners. Students who have at least two scores in the 97th percentile (quantitative, verbal, and/or nonverbal) on the CogAT or similar state-approved test are eligible for the classes. The teachers in the Self-Contained Gifted classes are gifted-endorsed, and the curriculum, enrichment and extension activities are specially designed to challenge students to develop both academically and socially.
Important Dates for the Self-Contained Gifted Program
February 1, 2023 Application window for the Self-Contained Gifted Program opens
February 24, 2023 Application window closes
February 28, 2023 Lottery (if necessary)
LEARN ABOUT TOWNE MEADOWS
Tour: A tour allows families to spend time in each of the Self-Contained Gifted classrooms, which might involve observing a lesson, interacting with students and speaking with teachers. You will also spend time walking around the campus with the principal.
February 9, 2023 10am Tour - Please RSVP to the front office.
February 13, 2023 2pm Tour - Please RSVP to the front office.
February 17, 2023 10am Tour - Please RSVP to the front office.
Open House: The Open House provides families the opportunity to learn about the program from each of the teachers as they discuss how their curriculum and class setup is unique for the highly-gifted learner. Families will also have the opportunity to visit the classrooms and speak with the teachers. Current students and parents will be available for questions.
February 22, 2023 5:30pm-6:30pm Open House
Highlights of the Self-Contained Gifted Program
- Lego Robotics
- Socratic Questioning
- Social-Emotional Curriculum
- Enrichment and Acceleration
- Language Arts (instruction is offered using College of William & Mary curriculum from the Center For Gifted Education and Michael Clay Thompson)
Towne Meadows Elementary
1101 N. Recker Road, Gilbert, AZ 85234
School Grade Levels: Currently, one classroom for 4th grade, one classroom for 5th grade, and one classroom for 6th grade
Class Size: 25
Self-Contained Gifted Program Applications
Families interested in applying for the SCG Program must complete an online application.
Applications will be considered in the following order:
- Students who are siblings of students who are currently in the Self-contained Gifted Program or the GTC (Gifted Talented and Creative) Program at Highland Junior High School.
- Students residing in the Gilbert Public Schools boundaries or who are currently attending a Gilbert Public School.
- Students who reside outside of the Gilbert Public Schools boundaries or who do not currently attend a Gilbert Public School.
- Out of district students are welcome to apply for the Self-contained Gifted Program if they meet District eligibility (as noted above).
Out of District Students – In addition to the application, please submit the following information to the Teaching and Learning Department:
- A copy of your child’s most recent intellectual assessment results: Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT) or other State of Arizona approved assessment or IQ tests administered by a licensed Psychologist/Psychiatrist
- A copy of your child’s most recent standardized test scores (i.e. AzMERIT, DIBELS)
- A copy of your child’s most recent report card
- Twice-exceptional students receiving special education or 504 services must attach: Copy of current IEP and most current special education evaluation report or copy of 504 plan
*Applications will not be accepted until all forms have been submitted
Siblings are welcome to attend Towne Meadows through the Open Enrollment process. Acceptance is contingent upon the campus’ capacity to provide all services needed by the sibling(s).