Gilbert Public Schools offers tuition-free, full-day kindergarten programs at all of our 27 elementary schools, and a half-day morning kindergarten option at Burk Elementary.
Our kindergarten students enjoy a challenging and comprehensive curriculum designed to provide the individualized attention they need to thrive while developing a lifelong love for learning.
For admission to kindergarten, we recommend that children be five years old before September 1 of the current school year. Early entrance screening is available.
Highlights of our Kindergarten Programs
- Convenient full-day and half-day Kindergarten options in a nurturing environment taught by certified and highly qualified teachers
- Half-day (morning) Kindergarten option at Burk Elementary
- Two Accelerated Kindergarten options at Highland Park Elementary & Quartz Hill Elementary
- Three Traditional Academies (K–6) options including Neely Traditional Academy, Canyon Rim Elementary, & Spectrum Elementary
- Rigorous instruction in academic core areas that addresses the Arizona state standards in reading, writing, math, science, and social studies
- Rich opportunities that promote positive social skills and character development within a structured learning environment
- Recognized educational excellence and consistency in achieving high scores on statewide assessments
- Well-defined and tailored curriculum with high-quality academic programs and extra-curricular activities to meet your student’s needs and strengths including music, artistic expression, and physical education for the enrichment of the whole child
- Gilbert Public Schools Special Education Kindergarten programs provide quality early education for children with special needs.
Enroll in Kindergarten
To register for kindergarten for the upcoming school year, children must turn 5-years-old prior to September 1st. Children who turn 5-years-old between September 1st and December 31st may be assessed kindergarten readiness through an early entrance screening to determine qualification for early entrance into kindergarten. Special Education kindergarten transition is available for special needs students.
To enroll a student in your local neighborhood Gilbert Public School for the 2019-2020 school year please follow these instructions to complete online enrollment.
If you are not sure which school is your neighborhood school, please view the GPS school boundaries.
Gilbert Public Schools is an open enrollment district, therefore if you are interested in having your child attend Kindergarten at a school that is not your neighborhood school it is easy to apply through our online open enrollment.
Kindergarten Early Entrance Screening
Early Entrance Screening for the 2019-2020 school year will take place in June and July and be completed prior to the first day of school. Early Entrance Screening will not be available once school has begun. Registration for Early Entrance Screening is now available.
To register please refer to the Registration Information noted below:
- The July 2019 Early Entrance Screenings will take place on July 23rd & 24th. Registration for the July screenings will open on Monday, June 10th. All registrations must be submitted online by noon July 22nd.
- A non-refundable $90.00 fee will be collected at the time of registration and may be paid using Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover Card. Once registration is completed, a confirmation will be sent via email indicating the date, appointment time, and location for your child’s screening.
- Screening sessions are subject to cancellation if minimum enrollment is not met.
- Registering online for screening does not in any way guarantee enrollment into kindergarten.
If you have never created a Community Education online family account, please click here, then select 'Kindergarten Early Entrance Screening'.
If you have previously set up a Community Education online family account submit your registration by clicking here, using your username and password. Click on the PERSONAL tab, then "Add New Student". Once you have entered all the information for the new student, click on SAVE. Next, click the REGISTRATION tab to register for the screening.
Questions about details concerning the screening or the process?
Call the Curriculum Department prior to kindergarten screening registration or your appointment at: 480-497-3477 during regular business hours.
Questions about registration or payment?
Call 480-892-9089 x 100 prior to kindergarten screening registration, during business hours.