GTC Program Announcements
Gifted Talented and Creative (GTC) 7th & 8th Grade Gifted Program
Applications for the 2024/25 school year for our Gifted, Talented and Creative program for 7th and 8th graders hosted at Highland Junior High are now open. Please complete the application below.
Junior High Gifted – GTC Program
GTC (Gifted, Talented and Creative) at Highland Junior High School
Gilbert Public Schools expanded gifted services for 7th and 8th graders through the GTC (Gifted, Talented and Creative) Program at Highland Junior High School by providing a differentiated learning experience addressing the individual needs of gifted students. The classrooms will offer enrichment experiences and a more rapid learning pace in an environment where curricula matches the gifted child's unique learning style. Their curiosity, creativity, intensities, sensitivities, and advanced learning styles will be embraced and appreciated by their teachers. A classroom of like-minded peers with teachers who understand and enjoy the gifted learner will result in a healthy atmosphere where a child can flourish intellectually, socially, and emotionally. Students will be with other gifted peers for the core subjects of language arts, social studies, math, and science.
A qualifying score on a state-approved gifted test of 97 or higher in one of the areas: Verbal, Quantitative, and/or Nonverbal
A qualifying score on a state-approved gifted test of 95 or higher in two of the three areas: Verbal, Quantitative, and/or Nonverbal
An IQ score on the state-approved list for identification of gifted students of 128 or above
- Cross-curricular experiences
- Accommodating students learning styles
- Students choose their electives
- Depth and complexity
- Project-based culminating projects
- Qualified teachers who have a gifted endorsement or provisional
- Teachers will instruct the core content areas for 7th and 8th graders in the program
- Other Services/Opportunities at HJHS
- Counselor for social-emotional support
- A+ School
- Exemplary performing arts/music
- After school clubs include: Athletics Club, Best Buddies, Chess Club, Code Club, Drama Club, LEAGUE of Extraordinary Writers, National Junior Honor Society,] Student Council, Scrapbook Club, 3D Printing
- Athletics include: Flag Football, Volleyball, Soccer, Basketball, Softball, Cross Country, Wrestling, Baseball, Track and Field, Cheer
Students who are currently in the gifted program at Highland Junior High School will transition to Highland High School. This decision was made due to the academic options and performing arts offerings
Regional bus stops are available.
GTC Program Applications
Applications for the 2023/24 school year are now open.
Applications will be considered in the following order:
- Students who are siblings of students who are currently in the Self-contained Gifted Program or GTC Program.
- Students residing in the Gilbert Public Schools boundaries or who are currently attending a Gilbert Public School.
- Students who reside outside of the Gilbert Public Schools boundaries or who do not currently attend a Gilbert Public School.
- Out of District Students Only: Out of district students are welcome to apply if they meet District eligibility (as noted above).
Out of District Students Only – In addition to the application, please submit the following information to the Gifted Department:
- A copy of your child’s most recent intellectual assessment results: Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT) or other state of Arizona approved assessment or IQ tests administered by a licensed Psychologist/Psychiatrist
- Twice-exceptional students receiving special education or 504 services must attach: Copy of current IEP and most current special education evaluation report or copy of 504 plan.
- Applications will be accepted upon completion and submission of all forms.
GPS Gifted FAQ
How are students assessed for Gifted Identification?
What is the Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT)?
How can my child be considered for Gifted Testing?
My child was tested in another school district. Do those scores count?
Is summer Gifted Testing Available?