Our school offers the option for kindergartners to enroll in a Traditional program K-6.
In the Traditional classroom the desks all face the front of the room, and the curriculum is delivered primarily through whole group instruction led by qualified teachers.
The ELA curriculum in Traditional is Spalding K-6. Spalding focuses on precise speech, legible handwriting, spelling, and fluency in reading. Teachers model, coach and provide support when needed. The curriculum is structured, sequential and cumulative.
The Math curriculum is Saxon Math K-6. Saxon Math reinforces incremental learning. New concepts are introduced daily and previously learned concepts are reviewed. In this program, Math is taught one grade level above.
Traditional homework will meet or exceed our usual GPS homework requirements, and there will be an additional reading time of 15-30 minutes related to an Accelerated Reading program.
Kindergarten Events Happening Now & You're Invited!
All 26 elementary schools are hosting Kindergarten events to welcome new families and students onto our campuses, where you can meet the teachers, tour the school, and prepare for Kinder! Learn more about your local elementary and all of the different options available to you and your family throughout our district.
To find your local school, visit gilbertschools.net/boundaries
To learn about all the Kindergarten choices in our district click on the links below:
- 1/2 Day Kinder at Burk Elementary
- Spanish Dual Language Kinder at Gilbert Elementary
- Traditional Kinder at Canyon Rim, Neely Traditional Academy, and Spectrum
- Accelerated Kinder at Highland Park, Playa del Rey, Meridian, Quartz Hill, and Val Vista Lakes
To find out the dates of Kindergarten events, please visit the school website.
Kindergarten Readiness Events for Families
- Schedule a School Tour - Please take the opportunity to schedule a tour at any of our elementary schools to learn more about their Kindergarten offerings, meet the Principal and teachers, and tour the campus.
- PreK - All the Way! - This summer program supports families whose children are entering kindergarten and have never attended preschool. Children will follow a preschool routine, doing activities that support learning and the development of fine motor skills. Registration opens in the spring. Visit our website to learn more.