We are excited to welcome your kindergartner to Spectrum Elementary! To learn more about our school please take a look around our website and if you would like, please schedule a tour.
Spectrum Elementary is hosting a Kinder Round-Up for incoming and prospective families on Thursday, May 4, at 5:30 pm. Families can tour classrooms and receive a packet with kindergarten prep work.
Our school offers the option for kindergartners to enroll in a Traditional program K-6.
In the Traditional classroom the desks all face the front of the room, and the curriculum is delivered primarily through whole group instruction led by qualified teachers.
The ELA curriculum in Traditional is Spalding K-6. Spalding focuses on precise speech, legible handwriting, spelling, and fluency in reading. Teachers model, coach and provide support when needed. The curriculum is structured, sequential and cumulative.
The Math curriculum is Saxon Math K-6. Saxon Math reinforces incremental learning. New concepts are introduced daily and previously learned concepts are reviewed. In this program, Math is taught one grade level above.
Traditional homework will meet or exceed our usual GPS homework requirements, and there will be an additional reading time of 15-30 minutes related to an Accelerated Reading program.
Kindergarten Events Happening Now & You're Invited!
All 26 elementary schools are hosting Kindergarten events to welcome new families and students onto our campuses, where you can meet the teachers, tour the school, and prepare for Kinder! Learn more about your local elementary and all of the different options available to you and your family throughout our district.
To find your local school, visit gilbertschools.net/boundaries
To learn about all the Kindergarten choices in our district click on the links below:
- 1/2 Day Kinder at Burk Elementary
- Spanish Dual Language Kinder at Gilbert Elementary
- Traditional Kinder at Canyon Rim, Neely Traditional Academy, and Spectrum
- Accelerated Kinder at Highland Park, Playa del Rey, Meridian, Quartz Hill, and Val Vista Lakes
To find out the dates of Kindergarten events, please visit the school website.
Kindergarten Readiness Events for Families
- GPS Kindergarten Readiness Fair, March 27, 4pm to 7pm at Highland High School - This event will feature expert speakers and a Kindergarten teacher Q&A panel, covering topics such as the changes children go through while transitioning to kindergarten, and ways to support readiness at home. Families will also have the opportunity to interact with all 26 of our elementary school principals in one location and learn more about the unique programs offered on their campuses. No need to register, just drop-in anytime between 4-7pm to join us at the Fair!
- Pave the Path for GPS Preschoolers - Children currently enrolled in a GPS preschool program at our elementary schools will participate in the ‘Pave the Path’ experience the week of March 27-31, allowing them a chance to spend time in a kindergarten classroom interacting with kindergarten students and teachers. If your student is currently in one of our preschool programs please look out for communications from your school.
- Kindergarten Readiness (Parent-only Event), April 12, 6pm to 8pm, Community Education - Parents of soon-to-be kindergartners can attend this GPS Parent University course on April 12 from 6pm to 8pm at our Community Education building. Parents will be taught some engaging, hands-on learning activities that they can replicate at home to help their children become successful members of a classroom community.
- PreK - All the Way! - This summer program supports families whose children are entering kindergarten and have never attended preschool. Children will follow a preschool routine, doing activities that support learning and the development of fine motor skills. Registration opens in the spring. Visit our website to learn more.