Our mission as school counselors at HJHS is to provide a comprehensive guidance program that empowers students to reach success and strive for excellence by providing students with academic, emotional and career support. By following this model, counselors meet the needs of ALL students while still attending to the various needs of the individual student and identifying barriers or obstacles to academic success.
The Junior High Counselors at Gilbert Public Schools believe:
- All students have equitable access to a comprehensive counseling program
- All students have the right to learn in a safe and supportive environment
- All students have the right to be treated with dignity and respect
- All students have the ability to achieve
- All Students have potential to become productive, contributing members of their community
The comprehensive school counseling program will:
- Implement the Arizona State Standards for school guidance counseling based on the framework of the American School Counselor Association (ASCA) Model
- Be delivered through the four interrelated programs: guidance curriculum, individual student planning, responsive services and system support
- Provide opportunities for academic, career and personal/social development
The Junior High Counselors at Gilbert Public Schools will:
- Have a master's degree or higher with ongoing, specialized training in academic, career and personal/social development and hold certification as a k-12 professional school counselor by the Arizona Department of Education
- Uphold the ethical standards that govern Professional School Guidance Counselors; protecting the interests of the individuals within the structure of the school system
- Advocate for the individual needs of all students
Our counselors provide a variety of services to our students with their primary role being academic counseling. One of the other services is to offer guidance through various classes. Guidance topics include career exploration, bullying prevention, and information on various school activities.
This year, we would like to give students more opportunities to get involved in small group counseling sessions with other students that have similar needs. A needs assessment is currently being done, but some examples of groups that we may offer are study/organization skills, changes in family, stress management, grief and loss, communication skills, self-esteem/social skills and internet/social media safety. Groups will be developed based on student needs. If you have a particular concern about your child and want them to receive such services, please call or e-mail.
Want to know more about how the School Counselor can help your student?
7th Grade Registration
8th Grade Registration
If you are an existing Gilbert Public School family who has student(s) currently open enrolled at GPS and want to re-apply at the same school for the following year please download and complete the Open Enrollment Form and return to the student's school (form is also available from any school in the district).