Tips from Nurse Melissa:
- Epi-pens and inhalers do not require a doctor’s order. They can be held in the Health Office, or self carried by a student with a completed self-carry form on file with the nurse. Form is in GPS > Health Services
- Benadryl and all other medications must be stored and dispensed from the Health Office with a doctor’s order. To obtain a doctor’s order, call the student’s provider and ask them to fax the prescription to 480 635-2044
- Crutches, wheelchairs, and knee scooters require a doctor’s order for school use within 72 hours. Please request a prescription at the visit, and send to school with your student, or fax to 480-635-2044
PLEASE FEED ME BREAKFAST!
- Many visits to the Health Office are related to Hunger
- Students complain of feeling fatigue - nausea - headache - difficulty concentrating - stomach ache - feeling dizzy - hungry - feeling faint
- A healthy diet supports growth and development and reduces the risk of chronic disease.
- It should include fruits, vegetables, protein, dairy, grains, and oils with limited saturated and trans fats, added sugars and sodium
- The CDC 2015-2020 guideline recommends 2,200 calories/day to support a healthy body weight of an active boy, and 2,000 for an active girl.
- Repeat studies report that skipping breakfast leads to weight gain by overeating later in the day
- No breakfast leads to poor school performance, low energy, poor concentration, and poor memory
Health Services Information
COVID Isolation Guidelines
When Your Child Should Stay Home
Emergency Medical Information
Health Services Medication Guidelines
Communicable Disease on Campus
Students with Physical Limitations
Head Lice Information
Annual Screening Information
About Health Services
Gilbert Public Schools has nurse coverage and health assistants in all of our schools available to assist students with illness and injury-related problems. In addition, we also conduct health screenings, assist students and families with referrals for health-related service, follow-up, and act as a health education resource for students, their families, and our staff.