Gilbert Public Schools Gifted Program Information
Gilbert Public Schools is a premier provider of services to Pre-K through Grade 12 students identified as gifted or twice-exceptional, using research-based instruction to address the needs of the whole child.
To achieve this vision, GPS seeks to:
- Address the social, emotional, cognitive, academic, physical, and kinesthetic needs of each gifted or twice-exceptional student.
- Use state-of-the-art diagnosis and pre-assessment tools that enable teachers to provide a rigorous curriculum at an appropriate instructional level for each student, with options that allow differentiation, individualization, and flexibility.
- Address the specific needs of gifted, highly gifted, profoundly gifted and twice-exceptional students using hands-on and project-based learning and innovative use of technology.
- Ensure appropriate training and professional development for teachers of gifted education students.
- Provide mechanisms for effective communication between families and school professionals.
Testing Updates for 2021–22 School Year: The Fall Testing window is August 9–September 3, 2021. Any requests received after August 30th will be considered for May 2022 testing. The May testing window is May 2–26, 2022. All 2nd and 3rd grade students will be administered the CogAT gifted blanket screener in February 2022.
Elementary Gifted Services
Great effort is made to provide the most appropriate placement for every child attending Gilbert Public Schools.
Our elementary schools use the cluster and replacement models to serve gifted students in grades K–6. These programs comply with a legislative mandate requiring schools to provide services for academically-talented and ambitious students who need challenges beyond the regular classroom setting.
GPS Gifted FAQ
How are students assessed for Gifted Identification?
What is the Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT)?
How can my child be considered for Gifted Testing?
My child was tested in another school district. Do those scores count?
Is summer Gifted Testing Available?