Governing Board Brief - November 18, 2020
The Governing Board met for their monthly regularly scheduled board business meeting on Tuesday, November 18, 2020.
The meeting began at 5:00pm with call to executive session for discussion or consideration of Superintendent Performance Standards.
The board business meeting was called to order at 6:00pm and began with the Superintendent’s Report. Superintendent, Dr. Shane McCord highlighted the following:
- Dr Krista Cox awarded Arizona Association of School Psychologists Administrator of the Year
- Distinguished AFJROTC Cadet Badge awarded to Chris Santos, senior at Campo Verde
- Arizona Cardinals as part of its Neighborhood Hero Program along with presenting sponsor State Farm have donated $100,000 for the improvement of sod and other items on the football field at Mesquite High School
- Fall athletic programs:
- Badminton - Campo Verde Girls State Runner Up in State Div 2 Doubles - Maya Gibbs and Jaclyn Whaley; Mesquite High Sabrina Farias Div 2 State Champion in Singles
- Cross Country - Gilbert High Boys Div 2 State Champions;Highland High Girls Div 1 State Runner Up Campo Verde Boys 3rd in State Div 2; Highland Boys 3rd in State Div 1; Campo Verde Girls 6th in Div 2; Gilbert Classical Academy Ayla Young 5th in Div 4 State Finals.
- Swim and Dive - Desert Ridge - Essias Smith 1st place in 100 fly - 3 time State Champion in that event; Alex Robertson Div 1 State Dive Champion; Campo Verde High Boys and Girls Teams Div 2 State Runner Up, Paige Treptow 1st 50 yard freestyle, Sophia Pdersen, Paige Treptow, Megan Langford 2nd 200 freestyle relay and 2nd place 400 freestyle relay, Ashton Hasegawa 2nd 1 meter dive, Jeremy Graunke 1st 50 yard freestyle, Christian Ostendorf 1st 100 yard freestyle and 2nd place 50 yard freestyle, Christian Ostendorf, Jeremy Graunke, Brandon Kuhl, Hayden Grossarth 1st 200 yard freestyle relay and 1st 400 yard freestyle relay; Gilbert High Rachael Lytle 2020 AIA Division 2 Swimmer of the Year, Braydee Buessing, Madi Caserio, Rachael Lylte, Daneilla Martin 2nd 200 Medley Relay; Gilbert Classical Academy - Cole Dunnett 2nd in State Boys Dive.
Requests to speak to the Governing Board followed. There were two requests to speak.
Dr. Shane McCord, Superintendent presented an update report on Health Benchmarks.
The following Consent Agenda items were approved with a 5-0 vote:
7.02 Approval of Minutes for Regular Board Meeting on October 27 and Brief Board Business Meetings on October 30 and November 4, 2020
7.03 Certified Personnel
7.04 Support Staff Personnel
7.05 Substitute Personnel
7.06 Approval of Intergovernmental Agreement (IGA) between Gilbert Public Schools and The City of Mesa, An Arizona Municipal Corporation; School Resource Officers
7.07 Policy Development: Approval of Second Read and Adoption of Policy IHA - Basic Instructional Program
7.08 Policy Development: Approval of Second Read and Adoption of Policy IHAMD - Instruction and Training in Suicide Prevention
7.09 Policy Development: Approval of Second Read and Adoption of Policy KB - Parental Involvement in Education
7.10 FY 2021 Parent Support Organizations
7.11 Acceptance of Donations
7.12 Ratification of Prior Month Financial Vouchers
The following Action item was approved with a 5-0 vote:
8.01 Approval of Superintendent Evaluation Instruments and Performance Pay Measures and Weights
Action item 8.02 followed and was presented by Dr. Renee Kennedy, Director of Curriculum and was approved with a 5-0 vote.
8.02 Approval of 2021-2022 Course Description Books for High Schools, Junior Highs and Gilbert Classical Academy.
Action item 8.03 - School Level Annual Financial Report (AFR) was presented by Director of Finance, Ms. Jackie Mattinen, and was approved with a 5-0 vote.
Superintendent, Dr. Shane McCord introduced action item 8.04 College Credit Examination Incentive Program. Dr. Barbara Newman presented to the board and was available to answer questions. The action item was approved with a 5-0 vote.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:15pm.