Governing Board Brief - February 23, 2021
The Gilbert Public Schools Governing Board met for a scheduled board meeting, Tuesday February 23, 2021.
The meeting began at 5:00 pm with a call to Executive Session for Discussion or Consultation for Legal Advice with the Governing Board’s Attorney Regarding Arizona Open Meeting Law Requirements.
The board meeting was called to order at 6:00 pm.
The meeting began with Superintendent’s Recognitions presented by Superintendent, Dr Shane McCord:
National Merit Finalists
- Mesquite High - Hungtao Liu and Donovan Harp
- Desert Ridge High - Adelyn Dao
- Campo Verde High - Lauryn Brandt
- Highland High - Marianne Wood, Isaac Root, and Jason Calalang
- Gilbert Classical Academy - Mathew Hanna
Flinn Scholar Finalists
- Jennifer Tran, Mesquite High
- Hanaan Abdulle, Highland High School
- Sophia Hammer, Gilbert Classical Academy
- Eugenia Trakal, Gilbert Classical Academy
Mesquite High Football - State Champions for a second year
- Ruby Webb, Superstition Springs Elementary - K-2 winner
- Evelyn Rehm-Gerdes, Highland Park Elementary - 3rd-6th winner
- Raina Braun, South Valley Junior High - 7th-8th winner
The Superintendent’s Report followed. Dr Shane McCord highlighted the following:
Thank you to Director of Health Services, Jen Frost and Director of Safety and Security, Al Cain for their work organizing and implementing the GPS Vaccination POD this month. The team, working with partners from Albertson’s and Fry’s Pharmacies vaccinated over 2,400 GPS, Higley, and Queen Creek employees. Thank you also to all the volunteers who made this possible. The second dose vaccination POD will take place March 20 & 21 and further information will be shared with employees closer to the date.
The district is currently reviewing proposed campus changes for the 2021/22 school year, with three public meetings for comments and feedback taking place this week. Yesterday’s meeting was at Houston Elementary, tomorrow will be at Burk Elementary at 6:00 pm and Thursday’s meeting will be at Neely Traditional Academy at 6:00 pm. A Governing Board work-study meeting will follow to discuss the proposal and feedback received.
Requests to speak to the Governing Board followed. There were 6 requests to speak to the Governing Board.
Assistant Superintendent of Business Services, Bonnie J. Betz presented the Monthly Budget Report.
The following Consent Agenda items were approved with a 5-0 vote:
- 8.02 Approval of Minutes for Regular Board Meeting on January 26, 2021 and Brief Board Business Meeting on February 2, 2021
- 8.03 Certified Personnel
- 8.04 Support Staff Personnel
- 8.05 Substitute Personnel
- 8.06 Revised FY2021 Assistant Superintendent and Executive Director Contracts
- 8.07 Door Hardware Replacement/Upgrade at Gilbert High School
- 8.08 eRate Eligible Infrastructure Equipment, Cabling and Associated Services
8.09 eRate Eligible Internet Services Provided Through an Intergovernmental Agreement with the Arizona Board of Regents
- 8.10 eRate Eligible Internet and Wide Area Network Services
- 8.11 FY 2021 Parent Support Organizations
- 8.12 Policy Development: Approval of Second Read and
- Adoption of Policy GBGB - Staff Personal Security and Safety
8.13 Policy Development: Approval of Second Read and Adoption of Policy GCD - Professional Staff Vacations and Holidays
- 8.14 Approval of Out of State Travel for Staff
- 8.15 Acceptance of Donations
- 8.16 Ratification of Prior Month Financial Vouchers
The Action Items Agenda followed.
First was ‘Discussion and Action on accepting School Calendar Option 1-2-1 or Calendar Option 2-2-2 for the 2022-2023 and 2023-2024 School Years’. Executive Director of Elementary, Jason Martin presented and was available for questions from the Governing Board.
The following was approved with 5-0 vote:
To adopt the 2-2-2 calendar model for the 2022-2023 and 2023-2024 school years. Bringing back both 2-2-2 calendars to the next board business meeting for modifications.
‘Results Based Funding Distribution’ followed, presented by Superintendent, Dr Shane McCord. This was approved with a 5-0 vote.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 pm.