- Board Members
- Governing Board Meetings, Work Study, & Policy Committee Dates
Governing Board Meeting Comments
- 1/26/2021 Board Meeting Public Comments
- 7/27/2021 Board Meeting Public Comments
- 4/27/2021 Board Meeting Public Comments
- 2/23/2021 Board Meeting Public Comments
- 3/30/2021 Board Meeting Public Comments
- 4/22/2021 Board Meeting Public Comments
- 5/18/2021 Board Meeting Public Comments
- 6/29/2021 Board Meeting Public Comments
- 8/24/2021 Board Meeting Public Comments
- 9/28/2021 Board Meeting Public Comments
- Board Courtesy Postings
- Audit Board Committee
- Gilbert Public Schools
- Governing Board
Governing Board Brief - January 26, 2021
The Governing Board met for a scheduled governing board business meeting on Tuesday, January 26, 2021.
The board business meeting was called to order at 6:00pm.
The meeting began with the Superintendent’s Recognitions:
District Spelling Bee Winners: 8 students who will be representing Gilbert in the Regional Bee hosted by Chandler on 2/16 which will be a "virtual" bee.
- 1st Arian Rivera-Torres Playa del Rey fourth grade
- 2nd Sammy Martel Val Vista Lakes sixth grade
- 3rd Tyler Mantanona Canyon Rim sixth grade
- 4th Reegan Van Patten Patterson sixth grade
- 5th Makenna Johnston Carol Rae Ranch sixth grade
- 6th Trig Jackson Greenfield Junior eighth grade
- 7th Trenton Hales Desert Ridge Junior eighth grade
- 8th Mason Smith Neely Traditional fifth grade
Congratulations to Kaetlyn Blackburn, a Campo Verde student who received the Lanny Williams award for student athletic training aides. This award is given to the top 3 students in Arizona for their work in sports medicine.
Congratulations to Ty Thompson, a Mesquite High student who received the 2020 Ed Doherty Award - For 34 years, the Ed Doherty Award has been one of Arizona’s highest individual high school football honors and is awarded annually to the state’s most outstanding high school football player.
We would like to acknowledge and thank the generosity of the community. Gilbert Public Schools was selected to be the recipient of the 2020 Barnes & Noble Holiday Book Drive.
As a result of the book drive, the Barnes & Noble bookstore located at San Tan Village received approximately 899 books for our students. We look forward to distributing them districtwide to our students. We appreciate Barnes & Noble for their thoughtfulness and support of our school communities.
Gilbert Education Foundation Innovation Grants (funded by those who contributed to the Power of One Campaign - thank you):
- Sonoma Ranch Elementary, teacher Tasha Cerimelli for a Herb & SPICE Garden
- Desert Ridge High School, teacher Robert LaPlante for an eSports Lab
- Towne Meadows Elementary, teacher Laura Furnell for a Nonfiction Library Update
- Gilbert Elementary School, Louise Heeman, Reaching Zen! project
- Superstition Springs Elementary, Carrie Norton for a Radical Robots project
- Playa del Ray Elementary, Carrie Ienco, Artfully Me project
- Desert Ridge Junior High, Pattie Cantile for a New STEM Class
- Gilbert Classical Academy, Nicoleta Alfaro for a GCA Wellness Center
- Gilbert Classical Academy, Judy Engel for a Vitamix Nutritional Cooking project
- Patterson Elementary, Heather Alfrey for Calm & Connected Campus through Mobile Mindfulness
- Carol Rae Ranch Elementary, Addie Lafferty-Beakley - for project SPICE-ing Up Learning for Students with Autism
- Sonoma Ranch Elementary, Patti Munley, for Sonoma Student Podcast-Building Community with Technology at the Ranch
- Gilbert Elementary School, Scott Francom for a Microscopically Speaking project
- Gilbert Classical Academy, Pier O'Brien for an Outdoor Wellness Area
- Mesquite Junior High School, Haley Mercy, for a STEM in Sports - Golf Unit
- South Valley Junior High School, Linda Levy Music with Technology project
- Gilbert Elementary School, Ana Parra “Where In The World Will I Go?” project
- Gilbert High School, Alba Alvarez Stewart, to create The Giving Closet
- Gilbert Elementary School, Maribel Medina to fund Dual Language Spanish Books
The Superintendent’s Report followed. Dr. McCord thanked all students, families and teachers for their efforts during hybrid learning and highlighted the importance of adhering to all the mitigation strategies on campus and off-campus as we return to in-person learning full-time. Dr McCord also highlighted the importance of kindness within our community.
Requests to speak to the governing board followed, there were 5 requests to speak.
The following reports were next on the agenda:
6.01 COVID Metrics and POD Update - presented by Superintendent Dr. Shane McCord
6.02 Monthly Budget Report - presented by Assistant Superintendent of Business Services Ms Bonnie J. Betz
6.03 FY 2021 First Quarter Financial Report - presented by Assistant Superintendent of Business Services Ms. Bonnie J. Betz
The following Consent Agenda items were approved with a 5-0 vote:
7.02 Approval of Minutes for Regular Board Meeting on December 15, 2020 and Organizational Meeting and Brief Board Business Meeting on January 4, 2021
7.03 Certified Personnel
7.04 Support Staff Personnel
7.05 Substitute Personnel
7.06 9th Grade & Elementary Student Device Refresh for FY 2022
7.07 Exterior Painting, Coating & Weatherization and Interior Painting of Mesquite Jr. High
7.08 Floor Replacement/Upgrades for (4) School Sites
7.09 Floor Replacement/Upgrades for (5) School Sites
7.10 Restroom Renovation/Upgrades at (6) School Sites
7.11 FY 2021 Parent Support Organizations
7.12 Policy Development: Approval of Second Read and Adoption of Policy GCQA - Professional Staff Reduction in Force
7.13 Policy Development: Approval of Second Read and Adoption of Policy GDQA - Support Staff Reduction in Force
7.14 Acceptance of Donations
7.15 Ratification of Prior Month Financial Vouchers
The following Action Agenda items were approved with 5-0 votes:
8.01 Policy Development: First Read of Policy GCD - Professional Staff Vacations and Holidays
8.02 Policy Development: First Read of Policy GRGB - Staff Personal Security and Safety
The meeting was adjourned at 7:50 pm.