Governing Board Brief - July 27, 2021
The Governing Board met for a Governing Board Business Meeting on Tuesday July 27, 2021. The meeting began at 5:15 pm with Executive Session to receive legal advice from an attorney to discuss and consult with its representatives in order to consider its position and instruct its attorney and representatives regarding negotiations for the sale or lease of real property.
The Governing Board Business Meeting was then called to order at 6:00 pm.
The meeting began with a Public Hearing pursuant to HB2862. Ms. Bonnie J. Betz, Assistant Superintendent of Business Services presented and was available for questions regarding ‘FY 2022 Instructional Time Model: Secondary (Grades 7-12) Synchronous Learning’.
The Public Hearing was then adjourned and the motion to reconvene the Governing Board Business Meeting was approved.
Superintendent Recognitions followed:
- Sharon Boomer, Principal Spectrum Elementary - The National Association of Elementary School Principals, award elementary and middle-level principals each year with their National Distinguished Principal program. The award honors a Principal’s outstanding efforts and work to ensure that America’s children acquire a sound foundation for lifelong learning and achievement.
- BioMed Science Program at Campo Verde High - Congratulations to teachers Clarissa Monreal and Carrie Blackburn whose program has resulted in Campo Verde High being recognized as a Project Lead the Way Distinguished High School for the second year running. This honor was awarded to only 42 schools in the US this year.
The Superintendent Report followed highlighting:
- New teachers began today with a warm welcome and professional development opportunities.
- The GPS operations department has been extremely busy this summer working on a large number of projects. There will be some projects not fully completed but none that will interfere with the health and safety or the education of our students. Thank you for all of the team’s hard work to create very evident upgrades and improvements on the campuses.
- Update from the Maricopa County Superintendent’s Office regarding replacing Governing Board member Mr. Reed Carr - They report that they are very close to selecting a successful candidate. We will communicate this update when we have the information.
There were 4 requests to speak to the Governing Board.
A report on ‘2021-22 COVID-19 Mitigation Strategies’ was presented by Dr. Shane McCord, Superintendent.
The ‘Monthly Budget Report as of June 30, 2021’ followed, presented by Ms. Bonnie J. Betz, Assistant Superintendent of Business Services.
The Consent Agenda was approved with a 5-0 vote.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:10pm.