- Gilbert Public Schools
- Governing Board
Governing Board Brief - October 22, 2019
The Governing Board met for their monthly regular board meeting on Tuesday, October 22nd.
There was a call for Executive Session pursuant to A.R.S. 38-431.03(A)(1) for discussion or consultation for legal advice with the Governing Board's Attorney regarding settlement to resolve litigation at 6:00pm.
The Executive Session was concluded at 6:30pm. The Board Meeting was then called to order.
The meeting began with Superintendent’s Recognitions:
9 National Merit Scholar Semifinalists for GPS:
- GCA - Greyson Henry and Quincy Wilcox
- Campo Verde - Ariana Bui and Zachary Whaley
- Highland High - Thomas Blunt, Alexander Kessler, Audrey Bishop, Carson Tenney and Amy Ellsworth
Mesquite High Football Quarterback, Ty Thompson was recognized as the AZ Cardinals Player of the Week and AZ Central Boys Athlete of the Week earlier this month.
The Superintendent’s Report followed. Dr. Shane McCord highlighted the following:
- All five ‘Bond and Override Public Information Sessions’ are now complete, a copy of the presentation is available on the district website for those who were not able to attend - gilbertschools.net/bondandoverride
- Luce Filitrault, District Nutritional Specialist has been awarded a $50,000 grant to develop and adopt a ‘Farm to School’ action plan to support food and nutrition education throughout the district - There will be a project kick-off Monday October 28th at Mesquite Elementary
- Friday November 1st - 8th annual Cup-Cake War will be held at Greenfield Junior High
Requests to speak to the Governing Board followed. There were no requests to speak.
The Monthly Budget report was presented by Ms. Bonnie Betz, Assistant Superintendent of Business Services. The Board thanked Ms Betz for the thoroughness of the report.
An update on the ‘Plan for Our Future - Gilbert 2020 General Plan’ followed. The presentation was delivered by Eva Cutro, Town of Gilbert Planning Manager. Community members can review the general plan online at gilbertaz.gov/generalplanupdate. Feedback on the plan will be collected until December 6, 2019.
The following Consent Agenda was approved with a 5-0 vote.
8.02 Approval of Minutes from the Regular Board Meeting on September 25; Brief Board Business Meeting on October 1, 2019
8.03 Certified Personnel
8.04 Support Staff Personnel
8.05 Substitute Personnel
8.06 Upgrade Parking Lots at Highland Junior High School
8.07 Approve a Baseball and Softball Camp/Clinic Participation Fee at Mesquite Junior High School
8.08 Approval of the Memorandum of Understanding for Community Bridges, Inc.
8.09 Approval of FY 2020 Parent Support Organizations
8.10 Approval of Overnight and Out-of-State Travel
8.11 Approval of Out of State Travel for Staff
8.12 Ratification of Prior Month Financial Vouchers
Action item 9.01- Salt River Project Sustainable Energy Offering followed. Ms. Bonnie Betz, Assistant Superintendent of Business Services and Giovanni Briseno from SRP, presented to the Board. The Governing Board agreed to table this item for a future board meeting, following receipt of additional information and data.
The meeting concluded at 7:30pm.