Governing Board Brief - March 17, 2020
Governing Board Brief - Tuesday, March 17, 2020
The Governing Board met for a Special Board Meeting, Tuesday, March 17, 2020.
The meeting was called to order at 5:00 pm.
The meeting began with the Superintendent’s Report. Dr. Shane McCord, Superintendent, highlighted the following:
- An overview of the events that led to all GPS schools closing, as of Tuesday, March 17, 2020 until further notice as part of statewide and nationwide efforts to minimize the potential spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus).
- Please visit www.gilbertschools.net/alerts to view the most up-to-date information for our community. This page will be regularly updated.
- Free meal service - A list of locations and more information can be found on the website.
- Deep cleaning of schools is ongoing with teams of custodians working across all our campuses and buildings.
- Thank you to our extraordinary employees who continue to show just how committed they are to our students and families.
The following Consent Agenda was approved with a 5-0 vote.
5.02 Certified Personnel
5.03 Support Staff Personnel
5.04 Conditional Approval of Overnight and/or Out-of-State Travel pending Cancellation of COVID-19 Travel Restrictions
The following Action Agenda item was discussed by the Governing Board. Dr. Shane McCord, Superintendent, and Ms. Bonnie J. Betz, Assistant Superintendent, were both available to answer questions. The action agenda item was approved with a 4-0 vote. Governing Board member Mr. Reed Carr had to leave the meeting temporarily and was unable to vote. It was agreed that the resolution be reviewed again at the next Board Meeting if schools remain closed past Friday, March 27, 2020.
- 6.01 Discussion and Possible Action to Adopt Governing Board Resolution relating to School Closures, Employee Work Schedules and Related Matters in Response to COVID-19 Outbreak
The following action agenda items were approved with a 5-0 vote:
6.02 Approval of Buy-Back of Two Medical Days, Change in Accrual Rates, and Salary Increase.
6.03 Renewal of 2020-2021 Certified Employee Contracts
6.04 Approval of Certified Teacher Contract Language for 2020-2021.
6.05 Approval of the Teacher Work Calendar for 2020-2021
The meeting adjourned at 5:55 pm.
Gilbert Public Schools